Ubuntu 19.04 on Dell Precision T3400 stops booting at “starting GNOME Display Manager”

.everyoneloves__top-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__mid-leaderboard:empty,.everyoneloves__bot-mid-leaderboard:empty{ margin-bottom:0;
}

I installed 19.04 but when it restarts off the hard drive it gets to

starting GNOME Display Manager

and doesn't go any farther.

I have 2 compuers both Dell Precision T3400, one with a dual VGA card and one with a VGA + HDMI card, and I get the same behaviour on both of them.

What could be the problem, and how can I fix it?

share|improve this question

I have 2 compuers both Dell Precision T3400, one with a dual VGA card and one with a VGA + HDMI card, and I get the same behaviour on both of them.

boot gnome system-installation gnome-shell display-manager

edited 10 mins ago

Zanna

51.6k13141244

51.6k13141244

asked Apr 19 at 12:29

Rich PrimRich Prim

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

I had this problem. It looked like it was at the point where the video card would take over. I had originally done an install involving download of 3rd party software. So I tried again without this and found my machine would boot successfully. I think the 3rd party drivers are not so necessary for own machine these days anyway so I will see how I go without them. Your situation may be different, though.

share|improve this answer

• I was doing a "clean install" to a hard drive. I added no other software or drivers. Just never go past the "starting GNOME display manager

– Rich Prim
            Apr 20 at 14:28

• @RichPrim but did you select the option to install 3rd party software during installation? This answer suggests not selecting that option. If you selected it, try reinstalling without selecting it. If you didn't select it, you might want to try booting with nomodeset (press shift when you switch on to get the GRUB menu, press e, add nomodeset to the end of the line starting with Linux, press F10 to boot) and then looking for proprietary drivers in settings, because it looks like a graphics driver problem

– Zanna
            5 mins ago

try xubuntu, it uses a different display manager.

Your Answer

StackExchange.ready(function() {
            var channelOptions = {
            tags: "".split(" "),
            id: "89"
            };
            initTagRenderer("".split(" "), "".split(" "), channelOptions);

StackExchange.using("externalEditor", function() {
            // Have to fire editor after snippets, if snippets enabled
            if (StackExchange.settings.snippets.snippetsEnabled) {
            StackExchange.using("snippets", function() {
            createEditor();
            });
            }
            else {
            createEditor();
            }
            });

function createEditor() {
            StackExchange.prepareEditor({
            heartbeatType: 'answer',
            autoActivateHeartbeat: false,
            convertImagesToLinks: true,
            noModals: true,
            showLowRepImageUploadWarning: true,
            reputationToPostImages: 10,
            bindNavPrevention: true,
            postfix: "",
            imageUploader: {
            brandingHtml: "Powered by u003ca class="icon-imgur-white" href="https://imgur.com/"u003eu003c/au003e",
            contentPolicyHtml: "User contributions licensed under u003ca href="https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/"u003ecc by-sa 3.0 with attribution requiredu003c/au003e u003ca href="https://stackoverflow.com/legal/content-policy"u003e(content policy)u003c/au003e",
            allowUrls: true
            },
            onDemand: true,
            discardSelector: ".discard-answer"
            ,immediatelyShowMarkdownHelp:true
            });

}
            });

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
            function () {
            StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1135211%2fubuntu-19-04-on-dell-precision-t3400-stops-booting-at-starting-gnome-display-ma%23new-answer', 'question_page');
            }
            );

Post as a guest

Required, but never shown

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

2 Answers

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

active

oldest

votes

I had this problem. It looked like it was at the point where the video card would take over. I had originally done an install involving download of 3rd party software. So I tried again without this and found my machine would boot successfully. I think the 3rd party drivers are not so necessary for own machine these days anyway so I will see how I go without them. Your situation may be different, though.

• I was doing a "clean install" to a hard drive. I added no other software or drivers. Just never go past the "starting GNOME display manager

– Rich Prim

• @RichPrim but did you select the option to install 3rd party software during installation? This answer suggests not selecting that option. If you selected it, try reinstalling without selecting it. If you didn't select it, you might want to try booting with nomodeset (press shift when you switch on to get the GRUB menu, press e, add nomodeset to the end of the line starting with Linux, press F10 to boot) and then looking for proprietary drivers in settings, because it looks like a graphics driver problem

– Zanna
              5 mins ago

– Rich Prim

– Zanna
              5 mins ago

answered Apr 19 at 17:07

Grant SinclairGrant Sinclair

– Rich Prim

– Zanna
              5 mins ago

– Rich Prim

– Zanna
              5 mins ago

I was doing a "clean install" to a hard drive. I added no other software or drivers. Just never go past the "starting GNOME display manager

– Rich Prim

I was doing a "clean install" to a hard drive. I added no other software or drivers. Just never go past the "starting GNOME display manager

– Rich Prim

@RichPrim but did you select the option to install 3rd party software during installation? This answer suggests not selecting that option. If you selected it, try reinstalling without selecting it. If you didn't select it, you might want to try booting with nomodeset (press shift when you switch on to get the GRUB menu, press e, add nomodeset to the end of the line starting with Linux, press F10 to boot) and then looking for proprietary drivers in settings, because it looks like a graphics driver problem

– Zanna
            5 mins ago

@RichPrim but did you select the option to install 3rd party software during installation? This answer suggests not selecting that option. If you selected it, try reinstalling without selecting it. If you didn't select it, you might want to try booting with nomodeset (press shift when you switch on to get the GRUB menu, press e, add nomodeset to the end of the line starting with Linux, press F10 to boot) and then looking for proprietary drivers in settings, because it looks like a graphics driver problem

– Zanna
            5 mins ago

answered yesterday

Tim RichardsonTim Richardson

draft saved

draft discarded

Thanks for contributing an answer to Ask Ubuntu!

• Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

• Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.

• Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

draft saved

draft discarded

StackExchange.ready(
                    function () {
                    StackExchange.openid.initPostLogin('.new-post-login', 'https%3a%2f%2faskubuntu.com%2fquestions%2f1135211%2fubuntu-19-04-on-dell-precision-t3400-stops-booting-at-starting-gnome-display-ma%23new-answer', 'question_page');
                    }
                    );

Post as a guest